Every single person on this earth, at one time or the other in their lives, have always dreamed of becoming something more, someone special and big. Who hadn’t dreamt of becoming the one who hits the winning homer? Who hasn’t dreamt of becoming the homecoming queen? We have dreamt of being rich, powerful, happy and just successful with our relationships many times.
We have many big dreams and great aspirations but have you ever wondered how many of our dreams just stay dreams forever? And our aspirations age without ever being fulfilled? This is the sad reality of our lives. Instead of working towards fulfilling these dreams, we often tend to get caught up in the dull day to day living overlooking what exciting adventures we could possibly experience through self-actualization.
But to tell you the truth, life could be made so much better, if only we learned to aim higher.
The major setback in someone’s life and achieving their dreams is the word ‘impossible’. Most people even before they think about stepping towards achieving their dreams hung up thinking it’s too hard, impossible and they cannot do that simply. But think to yourself, if everyone in this world thought that, there would be no inventions, no discoveries and no breakthroughs in human accomplishments what so ever. That’s why, a change of thought is necessary.
Do you remember how the bumblebee baffled the human scientists who were very consistent that it’s impossible for the bumblebees to fly? Well fortunately no one had told the bumblebees at that point and hence they fly all those who said it’s impossible.
Another fact for the lack of dreams being fulfilled is that people tend to have outrageous dreams of things that could never happen and the result being big disappointments, broken dreams and shattered aspirations.
There are two sides for this. First, if you doubt yourself and your potential always making self-limiting assumptions, you will never be able to break the wall around you and reach your dreams. Secondly, if you dream about reaching far too up in the sky, also without doing any work towards achieving it, then you may find clinging to an impossible dream.
Here is a little exercise. Take a piece of paper and write down your life goals under three headings, goals ‘you know you can do’, ‘you might be able to do’, ‘impossible for you to do’. After completing this task, take a look at all your goals you have about your life and try to accomplish one by one which are under the header, you know you can do. Check them as you do and proceed on the list and once done, move on to the next header, the ones you might be able to do. Then to the ones you thought as impossible for you to do. This way when you continue on this iterative process you will realize on your own that the things you thought were impossible for you, doesn’t seem so impossible at all when you give it a thought.
The technique you follow here is to reach your bigger goals little by little not limiting your imaginations. You aim high and slowly work towards them but however setting up an unrealistic goal is unwise. Since those who dream but doesn’t work to make them come true end up being disappointed, this is the best way to be.
Think to yourself. If you told someone that man can go to the moon and walk on it hundred years ago, they would have laughed at you. If you told them you can draft a mail and send them to the other side of the world in seconds, they would have laughed even harder. But as you see, now things have changed, the impossibilities have turned in to possibilities either through absolute desire or perseverance.
Thomas Alwa Edison has said that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Can anything be truer than that? The 1% inspiration has to a big dream which you desire to achieve someday, not something easy but not something completely unrealistic too. The rest of 99% has to be hard work and dedication, the part you play to achieve it, no matter what. They say “no pain, no gain” which is true, unless you put yourself out of your comfort zone and try to beat up the impossibilities, you can never gain anything worth gaining.
So don’t get caught up with self-limitations. Dream on, there are no limits for you. Always think bigger and work hard towards those dreams because as you see yourself stepping up in the ladder, you will realize that nothing is impossible for you anymore, the world will be all yours.